Each week Harrison Patch wants to spotlight someone you know who is doing great things! We will recognize their accomplishments through our Whiz Kids column.
This week we chose the Harrison High School Model Congress.
Whiz Kids' Accomplishments: The Harrison High School Model Congress recently traveled to Pennsylvania University where they brought home 13 different awards, the most in school history for one conference.
Key to Awesomeness: The Model Congress students have a deep desire to learn about the legislative process and have shown a keen interest in current events affecting Americans everywhere.
Students attending this year's conference participated in public policy debate and role-playing simulations of the Unites States Congress from small committees to full sessions of the House and Senate. Harrison's Model Congress joined more than 700 students from other schools for the event.
Individual award winners from Harrison were:
- Energy Independence and Global Warning Best Delegate (Gavel Winner): Thomas Lovinger
- Full Session: Outstanding Delegate: Robby Tiburzi
- Narcotics and Drug Trafficking Honorable Mention: Lauren Jacobowitz
- Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Best Delegate (Gavel Winner): Juuli Huutunen.
- Full Session Honorable Mention: Jacob Temkin
- Foreign Relations Honorable Mention: Jacob Temkin
- Full Session Honorable Mention: Lexi Rubenstein
- Energy and Commerce Best Delegate (Gavel Winner): Ben Adler
- Full Session Honorable Mention: Sam Colangelo
- Environment and Public Works Honorable Mention: Angela Troia
- Judiciary Honorable Mention: Hayley Kronthal
- Executive Branch Honorable Mention: Rajan Mehra
- National Security Council Honorable Mention: Rajan Mehra
Editor's Note: Harrison Central School District contributed to this report.
If you would like to nominate a Whiz Kid please send the following information to Harrison Patch Editor Zach Oliva.
- Nominator's Name
- Nominator's E-Mail
- Whiz Kid's Name
- Whiz Kid's School
- Whiz Kid's Accomplishment
- Whiz Kid's Key to Awesomeness (What made him/her successful?)
If your nominee is selected, we'll contact you and assign a photographer to take a picture.