Editor's Note: The following statement was released by the Peekskill school district. If you would like to post your news to Patch, click here.
Dear Peekskill Community,
We are all grieving the tragic events that transpired yesterday. As parents and educators, our hearts go out to the community of Newtown, Conn.
As a caring community, no family should feel like they have to handle this on their own. Please know that our Crisis Team will be ready to assist the children as they return to school on Monday.
In the meantime, the American School Counselor Association recommends:
• Try and keep routines as normal as possible. Kids gain security from the predictability of routine, including attending school.
• Limit exposure to television and the news.
• Listen to kids’ fears and concerns.
• Reassure kids that the world is a good place to be, but that there are people who do bad things.
• Parents and adults need to first deal with and assess their own responses to crisis and stress.
• Rebuild and reaffirm attachments and relationships.
In addition, below are some links to assist you further in speaking to your children about the tragedy:
As always, please remember, "If you see something, say something. "
We know that you will join us in keeping the parents, families and especially the children of Newtown in your thoughts.
Peekskill City School District