Two chickens died but eight were rescued in a Saturday morning fire at Douglas Kennedy's Mount Pleasant home. The blaze was apparently caused by a space heater in the coop.
Kennedy, who confirmed the news, thanked his neighbors, Manny and Stephanie Gordon for reporting the fire. The residence is located on Route 117.
Mount Pleasant Police and the Pleasantville Fire Department responded to the scene. Kennedy said that police rescued the chickens and praised first reponders who were there, saying they did an "unbelievable job."
The fire was believed to have been caused by a space heater, and Kennedy described the coop as "pretty damaged." The chickens, which are kept as pets, were given to the Kennedy family from Pleasantville's Bedford Road School.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno told The Journal News the report came in at 7:35 a.m. Saturday from a 911 call. Alagno could not be reached for comment on Monday.
Sarah Studley contributed to this article.