.

[UPDATE] Faulty Cord Causes Apt. Building Fire in Peekskill

About 20 people were displaced Monday night after a fire ripped through the rear of a three-story building on Main Street.

Update, 11:45 a.m, Nov. 6:

Editor's Note:The following public service announcement was sent out the Peekskill police department.

Last night we had an unfortunate situation, on the 1300 block of Main St, where an overloaded electrical circuit with space heaters started a house fire. All residents and their pets escaped without injury but are now homeless.

We would appreciate your assistance in informing the public that overloading strip outlets and electrical circuits with space heaters are one of the most common causes of fires. With the onset of winter and the cold weather rapidly approaching, this is a major concern for both the fire and police departments.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Det. Sgt. Ray Henderlong

----------------------

About 20 people were displaced from their home Monday night after a fire started on the second floor of a three-story building Main Street.

Peekskill firefighters said the fire started at about 10:30 p.m. and was caused by a faulty electrical cord located in a second-floor studio apartment. The person living in the apartment woke up, noticed the fire and alerted everyone in the building before firefighters arrived.

Peekskill fire Chief Lenny Varella said it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control and about 45 minutes to knock it down completely.

The fire caused extensive damage to rear of the second and third floors of the building.

Varella said the building had no violations.

Members of the American Red Cross were at the scene to assist a few of the people at the scene with shelter, while others were able to find help from friends and family members.

Firefighters from Mohegan Lake, Buchanan, Montrose, Croton and Continental Village assisted Peekskill with the fire.

Not as clever as I think November 07, 2012 at 04:04 PM
for $6.49 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Model-TGP-10F-Triplex-Dry-Chemical-Fire-Extinguisher-/121009953995?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item1c2cc15ccb
Not as clever as I think November 07, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Look at this water extuinguisher... Buy it NOW Believe me, you will sleep better. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PACKAGE-DEAL-New-and-Reconditioned-Water-Fire-Extinguisher-2-PACK-NO-RESERVE-/121014714822?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item1c2d0a01c6 I use a wood stove, and it is essential to have one of these. You could have the fire under control before the fire dept even arrives.
Not as clever as I think November 07, 2012 at 09:10 PM
And a decent extention cord is a good idea.
paula November 08, 2012 at 12:57 AM
You DO know that many people in Peekskill have been without power in the aftermath of Sandy and are staying with friends and family that DO have power? Oh, you'd rather hmmm?, hmmm? Don't lay judgement without knowing facts. Speculation helps no one. How about some empathy and perhaps, perhaps an offer of help for those that are now homeless.. homeless during a nor'easter and snow!!!
Liz November 14, 2012 at 03:23 PM
It was a 3 story apartment building not 20 people in one home

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »