Dear readers, I hope you've had wonderful holidays and received everything you asked for! Digital reading devices were among the hottest gifts this holiday season. If you got a new gadget, take advantage of the wide selection of e-books and audio books provided by our library!
To get started, the first thing you’ll need is a library card.
You have your library card and your new device, now what do you do?
The main provider of eBooks and digital audio books is called OverDrive. This service is free to library card holders. To see if your device will work with OverDrive, check out OverDrive’s list of supported devices.
Your device is supported? Great… skip the next section and read on. Or, if you're feeling confident and just want to get started without instructions, go directly to our digital collection.
Don’t have a device yet? Check out our Nooks!
- We currently have 5 Nook Touch and 3 Nook Color e-readers for circulation. Visit the Main Library and sign up for a Nook at the circulation desk.
- Many wonderful books are preloaded for you. For Nook Touch e-readers: new and popular bestsellers, mysteries and romance.
- For families with young children, we have chosen wonderful titles aimed at a younger audience and loaded them onto our Nook Color e-readers.
To Get Started with Overdrive
- For eBooks, download Adobe Digital Editions.
- For audio and video, download the OverDrive Media Console.
- For Kindle books, check our step-by-step instructions on YouTube.
- For eBooks and audio books for your mobile devices, download the Overdrive Media Console. App from the Android Market, Apple App Store, Blackberry App World and Windows Marketplace.
More E-reader help:
- My Help! offers information for getting started and assistance for your specific computer/device.
Downloading not a problem, but there’s nothing available?
- Check free E-books on the Web. There are a number of websites that provide free eBooks for you to download and enjoy. These include titles in the public domain, in addition to those made available by the publisher or author.
- Check out the Director’s blog for suggestions.
- Below is a list of staff-recommended websites:
Nothing worked? Feel free to call 914-835-0324 or email us with your specific question, and we’ll be happy to help!