Update: 6:50 p.m.
Consolidated Edison is reporting that thousands of Harrison residents are currently without power.
Update: 5:30 p.m.
Residents are being encouraged to fill pots and containers with water in case Westchester Joint Waterworks loses power during the storm.
A fallen tree has damaged a home on Avondale Rd.
Harrison Town Court is cancelled for Tuesday, Oct. 30.
There will be no sanitation pickup on Oct. 30.
Residents are urged to stay indoors Monday night into Tuesday.
Current forecast (Monday night)
Sandy has arrived.
The storm—an amalgam of several foul weather patterns—is bringing whipping winds and drenching rains to the Lower Hudson Valley.
The National Hurricane Center was no longer labelling Sandy a hurricane as of 7 p.m. Monday, as it teetered on the edge of the northeast coastline—but the squall still has amazing power.
Nearly all municipalities in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam have declared states of emergency, with evacuations in effect in Port Chester, Piermont, Yonkers and other villages and cities. Thousands throughout the three counties are without power.
Roads are populated by emergency vehicles, branches and debris. The Tappan Zee Bridge closed down to motorists at 4 p.m. Monday due to high winds.
Monday night, winds may reach up to 90-miles per-hour.
The Hudson River is crashing through barriers and flooding coastlines along Nyack, Piermont, Tarrytowns and the river villages in Westchester. East, on the Sound Shore, the Long Island Sound is submerging parts of Rye and Port Chester.
Update 2:38 p.m.: Roads in Harrison are pretty much empty as of 2:30 p.m. The usual flood-prone areas appear to be in good shape so far, but predictions say the worst is still to come.
There is debris on a lot of the roads already. North St. into Harrison has some twigs and minor branches in the roadway.
We will have updates as they become available.
Road closures and power outages
- The southbound Hutchinson River Pkwy between the Cross County Pkwy Exit 15 and Exit 10 East Third St. will be closed for approximately two days due to severe flooding.
- The Bronx River Parkway will close through Westchester County starting at 6 a.m. Monday.
- Bee Line Bus service has been suspended until further notice.
Cancellations and rain dates
- Manhattanville College will be closed on Tuesday.
- Harrison Schools are cancelled on Tuesday.
- Westchester County: All county-operated parks will be closed beggining Sunday night. The parks will remain closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Click here to view a list of shelters currently open in Westchester County.
- The film screening scheduled for Monday night at the Harrison Library has been cancelled.
Patch's full coverage
- Astorino: County Preparing for the Worst
- Red Cross Launches Multi-State Response
- AG Warns Against Price Gouging
- School Closings in the Hudson Valley
- Residents Prepare for Sandy's Onslaught [PHOTOS]
- How You Can Prep For Hurricane Sandy [VIDEO]
- Cuomo Declares State of Emergency for New York
- NYS Thruway Preps for Hurricane Sandy
- Video: MTA Prepping for Storm
- Storm Preparation: Do You Have A Checklist?
Do you know of an event cancellation? Please add it to the comment section attached to this article and update the event in our free Patch calendar to notify the community.